Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Polyphasic Sleep, Day 1

So last night was my first night adhering to the polyphasic (or Uberman) sleep program. I took naps from 9:40-10:00, 1:40-2:00, and 5:40-6:00, and followed strictly the twenty minute time limit. It feels like a long time has passed since I took that first nap, but it hasn't even been 12 hours. I can already tell that my perception of time will change dramatically in the coming days. I feel fine as far as motor function is concerned. I have a slightly increased appetite, accompanied by a strange feeling of coldness in relatively warm places. I am fatigued due to the fact that I haven't slept in the past 24 hours (I didn't actually fall asleep during the naps), and I am making a conscious effort to expend less energy. All in all, though, I have felt this tired before and it is not something that feels overwhelming at this point.

Note: Instead of a standard alarm, I am using the alarm outfitted on my iPod. This way, I need only put on the headphones and crank the volume up. I'm assuming this will help me avoid over-sleeping and waking my roommate.

Tomorrow and Friday will be the hardest, I'm sure. I will update this blog with the latest from my polyphasic sleep endeavor.

No comments: