Thursday, August 28, 2008

Polyphasic Sleep, Day 2

I've now gone 48 hours without any real sleep (only 20 minute naps at 1:40, 5:40, and 9:40, twice daily). I had some trouble yesterday staying awake in one class, but after I took my mid-day nap, I was on the ball for the rest of the day. Well, almost. I ended yesterday in good spirits regarding my energy, appearance, intellectual activity, motor function, and sleep schedule consistently.

Day 2 has commenced, and I think today will be very difficult. I am still getting all my naps on time, although I haven't had any REM naps. Once I start hitting these, I will get into a groove and start loving the program. But for now, it really sucks trying to study when my concentration is such that I can't read efficiently one line of text. My motor function seems unimpeded as I write this, but there is a solid mental haze I can feel. I must constantly battle to stay awake, and drifting in and out of semi-conscious semi-sleep has become as second nature as breathing. I harbor no illusions about going to class today and actually learning anything. I have one single goal at any point in time: making it to the next nap, even though they often leave me more tired.

My whole concept of time has been trampled underfoot. Days have no end; nights have no beginning. Nights have no end; days have no beginning. Everything just flows into everything else. It has become eminently clear that the "time" we humans have constructed serves only one purpose: structure.

My appetite has increased considerably. I am probably eating 1.5 times as much as I did on the monophasic schedule. This makes sense, as I am moving, working, and thinking for 6 extra hours per day. It is hard to wrap my head around just how much time I have wasted in hibernation. Almost 1/3 of my life to date has been "wasted" because of the monophasic cycle, and I now see just how much time that is and exactly what one can do with it.

No comments: